Firstly, if you travel to New Zealand you can discover the culinary specialities of the country. Among them, stands out the Hokey Pokey, a traditional sweet. It is like a sweet caramel toffee, has a solid texture and has a spongy appearance.
The dessert is mainly composed of brown sugar, golden syrup, baking soda and a pinch of vinegar. It is true that in several regions the recipe changes minimally.
Also, you can find the Hokey Pokey traditional trade, such as bars, bars covered with chocolate, ice cream, etc.
Really, the recipe is easy and very fast. Please, see below how to prepare this sweet!
Preparation time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of vinegar
1. First, you must mix the sugar and golden syrup in a pot and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Next, you should raise the temperature to high heat and when it boils you must remove the pot from the fire.
3. Then, add the baking soda and mix everything until you get a creamy golden colour. Once mixed everything, pour it in a tray painted with oil.
4. Finally, let it rest and when it is cold and solid, break it to pieces.
We recommend you to put the Hokey Pokey in an airtight container.
Finally, we hope you can visit New Zealand to taste the real Hokey Pokey. For this reason, we facilitate the New Zealand tourist visa to travel the country due to is a mandatory transaction.